Wednesday, March 03, 2010

a real recipe for Angie's homemade crackers

1/4 cup hard red wheat
1/2 cup + 1/8 cup oats
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1/8 + 1/16 tsp salt
1 TBS + 1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup water

Soak hard red wheat in water till chewable. Blend and grind wheat, oats, and bran in the food processor or bullet. Mix in salt and herbs. Mix in oil. Then mix in water. Place small drops on a cookie sheet. Spread really thin. Bake at 350, till crispy (I have yet to time it). When they are done, you probably won't even need a spatula to remove them from the cookie sheet.

We'll say it yields 4 servings; each containing approximately 150 calories, 4.4 grams of protein, 4.5 grams of dietary fiber, and only 95mg of sodium.

They go well with roasted garlic. I'd try them with a tasty spreadable cheese. I haven't, but you should. Now that I've got the crackers to taste good again. I think I will make a batch for book club tomorrow. I will also have to redeem my good name a make a batch for Bible study next week (I threw out the ones I took this morning).

No comments: