Thursday, March 22, 2012

366 Days of 2012 - Day 63 - March 3

Looking for Alaska

Today I was in a "still in recovery" mode. So I picked up a book that I got at Costco a few weeks back. It had the big gold seal stamped on the cover for an award in young adult lit. So it sounded right up my ally since I love YA lit. Well, the stuff were they swear needlessly, talk about sex constantly, and smoke constantly isn't really right up my ally. I thought about putting it down a couple of times, but I kind of got suckered into the storyline. The first chapter is entitled "one hundred thirty-six days before." It goes on that way "x days before." Which leaves you constantly guessing. Then "the day after," you can't believe it. Then at 180 pages or so you figure out what happened and the characters in the story figure out what happened 30 pages later. Then the author wraps it all up, ties a pretty little bow around it, and leaves you thinking maybe there was a reason it deserved that gold seal afterall. You said you didn't think you'd read another one of his books, but now you're thinking you just might put a hold on one at the library.

No comments: