Sunday, November 04, 2007

Meckel's diverticulum


Also known as "Angie's incedental finding during her c-section." It looked more like a tree fungus than this drawing shows. They took pictures of it. My Dr was going to try and get me a copy. I will share if I get it.


I did a little research, here are some facts that I found:


A Meckel's diverticulum is a common congenital (present from before birth) pouch on the wall of the small bowel. The diverticulum may contain stomach or pancreatic tissue. (Mine had stomach lining tissue.)

A Meckel's diverticulum is a remnant of structures within the fetal digestive tract that were not fully reabsorbed before birth. Approximately 2% of the population has a Meckel's diverticulum, but only a few develop symptoms.

Surgery to remove the diverticulum is recommended if bleeding develops. In rare cases, the segment of small intestine which contains the diverticulum is surgically removed, and the ends of intestine sewn back together. Iron replacement may be needed to correct anemia. If bleeding is significant, blood transfusion may be necessary. (Mine was removed from the wall of the small intestine. They didn't actually remove any of the intestine.)
Presentation in infants younger than 2 years has been considered the classic case. (Or 2+29)
Even more rarely, the Meckel diverticulum may develop benign tumors (eg, leiomyomas, angiomas, neuromas, lipomas) or malignant neoplasms (eg, sarcoma, carcinoid tumor, adenocarcinomas) (I will forever wonder if finding this now will save me from dealing with anything more serious in the future.)
Okay, so I was just looking at all this research info and this fact: The clinical presentation includes abdominal pain in the periumbilical area that radiates to the right lower quadrant. made me remember something. I actually asked the Dr about some pain I was having during my pregnancy. It was located in the lower right abdominal area. The Dr actually did some probing to make sure it wasn't a hernia. We ended up writing it off as round ligiment pain. Usually when one has round lig pain, it presents on both sides. I continued to have the pain off and on through out the pregnancy. Often, I had trouble believing it was just round lig pain. My gut told me something wasn't right. I worried about the pain and wondered if it would be the downfall of my natural birth. Now I wonder, and highly suspect that it was caused by my Meckel's. It is an odd realization to come to today.

No comments: