Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Giving away his toys

This weekend Josiah and I had a little talk. I told him it was going to be his birthday soon. We talked about how he would get presents and new toys. I told him he needed to choose toys that he was all done playing with to give to another child. I pulled out an empty box and he picked out two toys; the Eddie doll and a piano/shapes/colors leapfrog thing. I thought that was a great start. He woke up the next day and decided he had another toy for the box. Usually, after a nap he will come find me first thing. That day he put more toys in the box, including two balls (big sacrifice for a 2.95 yr old boy). Then, he came to tell me he put more toys in the box. The next day he wanted to put some of his books in the box. So in went some of his favorite board books. Yesterday he told me he was going to put his trucks in the box. I talked him out of it and into choosing just one to put in the box (He plays with them all the time). This morning he told us he was done playing with his trucks and he was going to put them in the box so that another boy could play with them. You might think he doesn't understand. That he just thinks someone is going to come over to play with his toys. However, I think he does. I think he totally gets it. We've taken toys (not his) to NCO before. I think he knows exactly where his toys are going. He continues to blow me away.

5 comments:

Linger said...

Wow! Josiah is amazing!

Dave Ketah said...

Children 'get it'! This is exciting to read about your little guy!

Ashby said...

Wow, Angie. I echo Dave and Chris in saying your son is amazing, but I am also amazed by YOU- you are an incredible mom! What a blessing you guys are!

Anonymous said...

That's great Angie! Great job starting early to teach him to be generous and giving. We do the same thing at our house. Last week we cleaned out all of Andrew's clothes that were too small and passed some on to friends and others to NCO. We talk about how happy it will make some other little kid. Then something cool happened. Within two days another friend passed two garbage bags of clothes to Andrew! It was a great opportunity to teach Andrew about God's provision for us.

Paulos said...

That's kinda cool :)