Wednesday, July 19, 2006

VBS, three days down

It's Wednesday. Just two days of VBS left to go. At least for this week. I'd really like to turn this thing into a backyard VBS and take a to a couple of Ethnos communities for a couple days a week. I guess I need to have some conversations with some people about that idea. But hey, we have a decorations, we have the curriculum, we have tested everything, we have made the worksheets, we even have a few extras. Why shouldn't we get as much use out of these things (which represent time and God's money) as possible? I think it would be a blast. All the hard work is done. It would be pretty easy to pull off (I think?).

This year has been great. We've had a total of 32 kids thus far. Our biggest day was Tuesday with 30 kids. Last year we had a total of 22 kids. I planned for 30 this year. Good plan, Angie. I've also had more help this year than any other. I'm not having to bust my butt over crafts. I have a craft person. She sets everything up, teaches the sessions, and then cleans up. It's beautiful. I'm a little frustrated with the fact that we haven't gotten as much singing in as usual. There just hasn't been time. We've been so off schedule this year. I've also got some new crew leaders. Plus, we have a preschool group. Perhaps by the end of the week I will remember to call them by their group name, Silly Chillies. It's been a good week.


This is my finished Fiesta sign. Here is a photo of what my village really looks like.
On Monday we made t-shirts durning crafts. The kids loved it. It was quite the fiasco. I think our silly chillies enjoyed it the most.
The Silly chillies help their friends on Monday during game their game time.
The kids have been having a great time with Henry as their game leader. He's been running around being absolutely silly. Everyone loves it!
We've been learning about Africa from our missionaries. Ashby shared slides and talked about living in Africa, on Tuesday. Then, on Wednesday, Beth read the kids a book about what how children in Africa live and play. The kids are raising money to purchase blankets for the children who will attend GRACE Academy. Tomorrow I'm going to share with the kids how we invision the homes and school will look. Our snack ladies make amazing snacks!
Song time is always fun. We get to conga everytime we sing our theme song. The kids love it. We even get to sing in Spanish. The kids enjoy Chadder time and their Bible stories as well. I just don't have much for pictures yet. It's hard to get a good picture in a little room.
Everyone looked so cute in their tshirts today. I had to grab a few crew photos. The silly chillies were the cutest. They had just finished making their crafts, follow the leader streamers. Of course our young I'm going to be a Kindergartner soon crew was also way cute. And who can resist a crew who looks like they love each other so much. Their crew leader, Jack, is 80+ years young. (Did he tell me he was born in 1919? Or perhaps it was 1924? I can't remember.) He's amazing with those kids!

1 comment:

Dave Ketah said...

I heard you did a GREAT job with the VBS! My wife and kids gave RAVE reviews! Thanks!!!