Saturday, January 06, 2007

A Christmas in review

The Christmas holiday has seemed very busy this year. I suppose one reason would be that I made most of our gifts this year. I made mosaic art pieces. They included trivits, pots, and pictures. (I'm sorry to say that due to being sick for two weeks, I'm still not quite done.) I also did a bit of sewing. I made noodle pillows. I'm also almost done with Josiah's rob. I also did this way cool photo montage for Wes. I did a photo shoot with his guitar and then created a mat for 11 of the photos in one 2'x3' frame. It is sweet. I am very proud of it. So I've been busy.

The Thursday before Christmas my parents came over to kidnap Josiah. YIPPY! Wes and I went to the Wolverton Christmas party. Wes went into work late the next day. Then we went to pick Josiah up in the evening. I'd made Wes a birthday cake and when we got there we made pizza and celebrated Wes's birthday. He's 33 now. Wow! I remember when 30 sounded so old.

My brother, Stephen, and his wife, Amy arrived from Alaska early Saturday morning. Having flown the red eye, they were zonked, so we decided not to go visit on Saturday.

Sunday morning we arrived at my parent's church for services. It was nice. Our whole family was there. This was the first time Stephen had been home in 3 years. After church we had dinner at mom and dad's. Then we left for the Ethnos gathering. We arrived early so that Wes could go over the lyrics and stuff for running the power point during the gathering. Josiah enjoyed helping Ashby and Natalie get the candles prepared before the gathering. My mom, Stephen, Amy, and Scotty (my little brother) all came to the gathering. It was nice to have them there. Afterwards, Wes, Josiah, and I went home while my family headed off to Scotty's church for one last service. We all opened one gift that night. Josiah got his Christmas pj's, We'd gotten Wes a big book on astronomy, and I got a dimmer switch for our bedroom (with the promise that it would be installed soon.)

Christmas morning Josiah came into our room. He prompty told us that he "didn't hear Santa last night." We opened our stockings and the few gifts that were under our tree. Wes got me the telescope that I've been asking for for about five years. He also got some of the parts that I need to hook my camera up to it. I'm still waiting on the rest... Thus he's spent more time on the scope than I have. By 11 we were at my parents house for the day. So there was another stocking round and a few more gifts. We got a magic bullet. It will be a fun little thing to have around. So much easier that the big blender or getting the food proccessor out. We had a big Christmas dinner and a nice afternoon.

Tuesday we all went to my grandparents. It had actually been five years since they had seen Stephen. We did some family pictures and had lunch. Wednesday we actually stayed home and Wes went to work. Thursday afternoon my parents and Stephen and Amy came over. My parents came to babysit while Wes and I went out with S&A. We ended up going to the Rock Bottom. Wes had wanted to go to the Portland City Grill but it was already booked up when we tried to make resevations. Anyway, we had a nice meal and good conversation. It was nice to be out just the four of us.

The weekend went quickly, I can't really remember what we did besides church and our Monday lunch at Chuck E Cheese's. Mom and Amy came over Tuesday and Amy and I went out for lunch. We went to the Elephant Delicatessan. It was a fun place to eat a visit. Then we went to Powell's. I still had a GC so I bought Amy a book and a couple for myself. Wednesday we went to my parent's to have one last family dinner for the next couple of years.

What suprised me the most about our Christmas was the way Josiah warmed right up to his unknown Aunt and Uncle. He's not usually that warm towards those he even sees on a weekly basis. But within a couple hours of arriving at my parents house on Christmas Eve, he was just being himself around them (well, for the most part). I was truely afraid that he wouldn't even talk to them before they left. I was afraid they wouldn't get to know him at all. But when he said goodbye he gave Stephen a pound and Amy a hug and kiss.

Now it is a normal Saturday, the first of the new year. I got to sleep in and read this morning. Stephen and Amy left for Ancorage Friday (yesterday) afternoon. Things are suppose to slow down now. I doubt it. I don't think that will happen till Josiah leaves for college.

No comments: