Monday, June 25, 2007

last night made me sad...

Last night as we headed in for the weekly gathering I saw people running around in cowboy hats. I told Stephanie she had a nice hat on. She told me that she had to wear it because the decor inside was "over the top."

My first reaction to the decor was a bit of jealousy. If only I had had a handful of people every year to help put the decor together... Later, it made me sad. Sad to realize that this year I was not putting together a VBS.

For those to you who don't know, I've directed VBS for 6 years. It's a crazy thing. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's a ton of work (especially at a church with few able boddied people). I always played many roles. As the director/sing & play leader/finally leader/craft leader/photographer I just was always stretched too thin. I also did about 75% of the church decorating before hand. So in one way it is a relief to have a summer off. On the other, I know I need to do it again. No, I don't need to have 5 jobs again, but I need to tell the kids about Jesus.

So last night I sat in a pew and wondered. Wondered if I was neglecting what I was supposed to be doing. Wondered why I wasn't using the gifts and talents that God has graciously given to me. Wondered why I wouldn't be get up in front of 3 dozen children and making a fool of myself while telling them how much God loves us all. And those were just the things I was thinking before Dave opened his mouth...

1 comment:

Dave Ketah said...

I hope the words that came out of my mouth were received as from the word of God, that is what I was shooting for.

I think that you will probably be back to doing VBS in the future, maybe as the director for Ethnos?